Tuesday, April 8, 2014

We had another beautiful day, though not so warm that I could go shirtless.  Not that I would anyway.  We do have neighbors.  But I actually kept on my t-shirt AND my sweatshirt; that's what I meant by not being able to go shirtless.  I couldn't go sweat-shirtless.

I had all sorts of work to do for my job, but today it was work I could do at home, so I did a lot of that, but then I messed around a little bit outside as well.  I worked on cleaning some of the beds up.  Of course, I chose one of the windiest days to do it, but no matter: I still took about four loads of leaves and general garden deadness to the compost pile. I also gave myself a wonderful opportunity for problem solving.  We have a heavy rubber-like liner for the bed of the Gator.  Well, today I found out that it will eventually slide right on out of the back if you try to raise the bed up to dump weeds.  If I had not been alone, I would have had someone take pictures of me trying to wrestle that bad boy back into the back of the Gator.  But then, if I had not been alone, I would have had someone to help me get it back into the bed.  Which I did not, and I did not.  Not for not trying, though.  I even tried some elaborate set-up with a twine rope, but it didn't work.  No matter.  Hubby will be home from hunting tomorrow night, and he can either get it himself or help me get it.  (It's heavy, but not that heavy.  It's too wide, so it's just awkward enough that I just couldn't get it hoisted back in by myself.)  I should have taken pictures, but I didn't.  It's still resting on the compost pile.

I have mounds of sedum in a few different places, and I found some more coming up in one of the beds.  Poor stuff … it was trying to break through a pile of leaves that had blown in and compacted around the parent plant through the fall and winter.  This is the bed that I did most of the clean-up on today because I needed to plant some daffodils.


Here's a zoomed out view so you can see the mess I let build up around the plant:

That wee bit in the middle right side of this picture is what is in the picture above it.

So I raked bunches of compost fuel, as I like to call garden refuse, and this is what this bed ended up looking like. You can see where I've already planted a few daffodils (three).





Okay, three down, and 48 to go!  The three are "Summer Cheer" from Michigan Bulb and the rest of them are Professor Einstein and Double Mix, just bags I'd picked up last fall, maybe at Lowe's.  Anyway, it should end up looking pretty cheerful in a few weeks.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

And the after picture doesn't look much different, of course.  Not yet. Just wait til those bad boys come up and bloom.  I tried the scatter method, where you toss out the bulbs and plant them where they land.  It's supposed to look more natural.  From what my 'scattering' results looked like, there's nothing natural at all about my ability to toss bulbs.  Some of them even flew out of the bed.  I did try to make sure there was basically a row of bulbs at the front of the little retaining wall, just to satisfy my husband's need for order.  The rest is chaos, which is reflective of me.  


The biggest problem I have with planting bulbs that bloom in spring is that I don't like the foliage hanging around later in the season, and it's not good to cut it off, since it feeds the bulbs.  But last year I had this area planted with some tall phlox in back and mounds of wave petunias rambling all over the rest of the area.  I think if I do the same thing this year, the spent daffodil foliage will disappear into the petunias.

Even though it doesn't look like I got a lot done, I consider getting 51 bulbs planted quite an accomplishment.  I do tend to try to do too much gardening at once, so I'm going to set a goal for myself this spring and summer of not trying to get too much done each day.  That's right.  My goal is to be lazier than usual.  Think I'll go stretch out on the couch.


No comments:

Post a Comment